There are times when every minister feels stuck, helpless, or ineffective in his/her ministry setting, particularly if that setting is experiencing unhealth. One of the keys to regaining hope and refocusing on the ministry at hand is to determine what kinds of power or agency you do in fact have. Hint: there may be some types that aren’t immediately obvious!
- Relationships/partnerships (inside and outside setting)
- Position/roles (formal and informal)
- Talents/expertise (ministry-related and not)
- Assets (budget, facilities, other tangible resources)
- Teaching tools (curricula and other springboards for discussion/study)
Once you have named the avenues of agency you have, how will you utilize them? What power do others who share your vision for ministry have, and how can you leverage this combined power for forward movement?